As smartphones become ubiquitous, there is a growing trend towards companies making their enterprise applications available from mobile devices, often the employee’s personal technology. It can be challenging for developers to support apps for the numerous devices employees bring to the table, but it’s becoming a necessity. In emerging markets such as the Middle East and parts of South America, the adoption rate is around 80%. More mature markets, like the US and the UK, have been slower to adopt BYOD but still have an adoption rate of over 40% (although this number is higher in some industries, like education). Some of this reluctance may be due to the idea that people will waste time on their devices. However, according to, the overwhelming use of personal devices in the workplace is for accessing enterprise-delivered applications; the top three being expense apps, CRM apps, and ERP apps, there is a definite trend towards enterprise mobility that needs to be addressed.

We discussed some of the problems developers face due to Android fragmentation in an earlier article. While that article was mostly concerned about apps developed for third parties, it is perhaps more important to address some of the challenges involved in creating and implementing apps internally, across your enterprise. Developers will still have to deal with the problems associated with creating third party apps across platforms: Android fragmentation, different development platforms for iOS and Windows. Also, protecting your critical data and sensitive network segments becomes paramount. Unless these problems are approached thoughtfully, from the beginning, any advantages realized from mobile enterprise access can quickly be wiped out by increased development and IT security costs. Data breaches (like the theft of customer data) can have catastrophic consequences. Producing updates and patches for dozens of different devices can keep a development team perpetually busy.

Xamarin offers solutions to these problems:

A single development platform for all three mobile operating systems

Using a single development platform is an enormous advantage. Xamarin eliminates the need to hire specialists to code for new platforms. Your existing development teams can port their work over to new devices.

Shared code

Projects built in Xamarin share up to 80% code between versions; the remaining 20% being UI. This means that updates can be produced and implemented quickly and efficiently – write the code once, not two or three times. Identifying and correcting potential security holes is much simpler.

C# and.NET

Because Xamarin uses the popular C# programming language, you can use your existing .NET code. Use the code you’ve already built over the years and move it to mobile, drastically reducing development times.

Get it right the first time with Xamarin Test Cloud

Over 1000 different devices are already supported, and more are added every month. Xamarin Test Cloud can be configured to test automatically your apps on the specific devices your employees use, before deployment. With so many different mobile devices available, the amount of time this saves in troubleshooting cannot be overstated.

In short, the Xamarin development platform saves you time and money. Take advantage of the increased productivity provided by enterprise mobile integration, without increasing development costs, while minimizing maintenance costs.

If you have any questions about enterprise app development or Xamarin, contact Seamgen .